Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I heard today on the radio that the King of Jordan has released (fired) the entire cabinet (prime minister etc...) as a result of the grumblings of the citizens about the increasing cost of food. It was suggested that the King, having an eye focused on events in Egypt and Tunisia wanted to avoid mass protests and made the move in order appease the people.

Despite the fact that these are countries that don't buy into the democtratic freedoms we're afforded here in the U.S., clearly the voice of the people does count for something, right?

2 comments:

  1. I believe you are right and that the king really does have a right to be concerned. While it is true that a king he can do practically whatever he wants, at the same time people ultimately hold him responsible for everything that happens- the bad and the good.He can't point a finger at the democrats and say its their fault because those parties don't exist in Jordan. So smart move on his part. I just wonder if he will have to make anymore changes in order to protect his authority.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I don't know too much of the monarchy systems, but if I lived in a state that was governed by anyone other than the people I would have real issues. (crap wait a second what am I talking about) Red, Blue are the only choices never mind I guess lets just say it would be nice to know that my vote would count for something.

    ReplyDelete